Strak Immigration Law

Temporary Student Visa

Visas for Students and Trainees:

F visa: Academic Student:

The applicant must have a foreign residence which he has no intention of abandoning, be a bona fide student qualified to pursue a full course of study, and seek to enter the United States temporarily solely for the purpose of studying at a recognized academic school. The applicant may study only at the school he designates and which has been approved.

The applicant must have available sufficient funds and outside financial support to ensure he will not become a public charge or accept unauthorized employment. He must be proficient in English or receive training to make him proficient, intend to depart the United States at the conclusion of his studies, and be qualified to attend the particular institution.

All students are given permission to be in the United States for "duration of status," that is for the period of time needed to complete the educational program plus 60 days.

At the end of the course of study a period of work authorization may be requested for the purpose of gaining in experience in the field of study, known as "practical training." If qualified, the student may also change non-immigrant status to a temporary non-irmnigrant work visa or adjust status to a permanent resident visa.

Mvisa: Vocational Students:

The requirements are similar to the F-llstudent visa except that the course of study is at a vocational/nonacademic institution.

Jvisa: Exchange Visitor:

The visitor must have no intention of abandoning his foreign residence, be a trainee, student, scholar, professor, research assistant and be entering the United States to participate in an exchange visitor program designated by the United States Department of State.