Strak Immigration Law

Investor Visa: E-2

A person may be issued an E-2 Treaty Investor Visa if:

  1. The individual or company has the nationality of the treaty country (at least half of the company must be owned by nationals of the treaty country). Canada is a treaty country.
  2. The individual or the company has made or is in the process of making a substantial investment (relative to the total value) in a business in the United States.
  3. The individual is either the principal investor who will direct and develop the enterprise, or an executive, manager, or employee with special skills essential to the company.
  4. The investment has the present or future capacity to generate more than enough income to provide minimal living for the investor and his or her family or to make a significant economic contribution. Employment of United States workers is the goal.
E2 visas can be issued for up to five years for Canadians. Extensions of stay in the United States may be granted as long as eligibility continues and the treaty remains in force. Family members may qualify for dependent visas.

At the border, E visa holders are admitted to the US for two years at a time.

The spouse, but not the child, of an E2 visa holder may apply for an employment authorization document. Children under 21 may attend school in the United States, without obtaining a student visa.